With so many files stored in your computer, you may be wondering what should be kept and secured. It may be a photo, a word document, or an important personal file. Above all these things, there is one file that you should be careful about, and that is the Windows Registry.
Windows registry is like the DNA of your computer system as it stores all the data about the different programs and applications installed in your computer, hardware devices, and the configurations you have made in your system. It serves as the system’s database where all the computer functions are referring to. Every change that you do with your computer is recorded in it. If there is no registry, your Windows will not work. It is the one that tells the system what should be done in order for every function to be executed properly.
It can be accessed through the registry editor where you can view and modify registry entries. Though you can edit entries, it is not advisable to change any of them manually because it may cause the operating system to malfunction that may lead to serious issues that may be harder to fix or troubleshoot.
The registry offers a lot of benefits to your operating system. One of them is all your system data is stored in one place, making it for the user to back up and restore files much easier. Another benefit is that, it cannot be edited in a simple text editor. It uses the binary format that can only be read and changed by programs that are designed to be used for it. This advantage is important since it would be a hard time for anyone to do any modifications since one wrong move may lead to a computer disaster.
While you install and uninstall software programs from your system, the Windows registry is accumulating data and files that are incorrect and unnecessary. In addition to that, internet browsing can install malicious attachments to your system. Because of these factors, several problems may arise including the following:
* The computer’s performance is degrading. You will start to observe that your system’s performance speed is reducing since the running program is taking too much time in acquiring its registry entry.
* Application crash. An unexpected program termination is can be experienced since the specific program was not able to reach its registration due to the cluttered registry entries.
* Programs and applications will start to hang or freeze. When a program is taking too much time to send information to the registry, the program or application will start to freeze or reboot.
* System crash. When it becomes significantly damaged, your system will be unbootable.
* Virus infection. Once it got infected by a malware, related files like “SYS, DLL, and EXE” are can be damaged, which may affect performing basic computer tasks.
* Fragmentation. As junk files continue to accumulate, your system will tend to be fragmented that may eventually lead to a corruption.
When these problems start to occur, it is important that you impose an immediate action to fix this to avoid any complication like file corruption. Keep in mind that you need to clean your registry regularly. If you are a tech-savvy then you can manually edit it and fix the problem. However, editing entries manually is not easy and not safe. Take note that you cannot undo the modifications you have done to it so you must be very cautious in making any changes. Fortunately, you can always download a registry cleaner to automatically scan for errors and fix the issues that could be causing the problems with your system.
It is important to have your registry regularly maintained to avoid damage. Having it cleaned will keep important files in your computer, such as “EXE” files that are easily infected by a computer virus, from a possible corruption. Also, it is important to keep it clean in order to defragment your system, to be able to save up some space from your computer memory.
Windows registry is very essential in keeping your files organized and compact. This is why it is important that you always fix any related problems so that your computer system will function well. A regular clean up will help you to prevent any form of file damage and a possible program or system crash. It can also optimize your computer system and boost your unit’s performance. Keeping it in good condition will make your computer system healthy and functioning well.