Imagined building your own computer? Actually buying all the supporting components and assembling it yourself might sound difficult.
The basic reasons are,
1. To build a machine to matches your needs.
2. Upgradation will be easier
3. To save money.
Before starting the process first decide on the type of system that you would like to build. It must suit all your needs. You must take care of the components quality and security.
Choosing a Motherboard
This forms the integral part of your computer. There are many types.
• Cheap motherboards: these perform basic tasks in ease
• Middle-of-the-road motherboards: bit costlier but handle the complicated tasks well
• High-end motherboards: to build a gaming machine or video workstation, these give speed. These are available at a higher rate.
• Extreme motherboards: costliest of all.chartering all important needs.
Here are some tips to choose,
• Intel or an AMD processor? AMD chips are cheaper, but Intel is famous.
• Size matters.
• USB ports.
• Graphics card – either embed it or connect it externally.
• Hard disks -PATA or SATA
• Pin configurations.
• Video cards or RAM extension slots.
Buying Computer Parts
Other essential computer parts to note down are,
• CPU with brand and correct pin configuration, speed.
• RAM with right configuration to enhance speed.
• Right connectors to supply power and other transfers.
• Optical drives enabling both CD and DVD writing
• Select a proper operating system that suits your needs.
There are many buying methods,
• Mail order – visit websites and place orders online.
• Outlets – variety is available
• Local parts retailer – they assemble quality goods and sale them.
Installing RAM and the Microprocessor
Static electricity is the charge that builds in your body. it affects the instrument too. you can prevent by grounding yourself. Wear a grounding bracelet on your wrist connect to a copper pipe thus eliminating shock.
Unwrap the motherboard and the microprocessor chip. The chip has marked corner that aligns with the motherboard. Make sure that it fits in perfectly. Install the heat sink that’s reduces the heat build up inside the CPU and connect to the power supply. Place the RAM in the right place named slot 1.your mother board is almost ready.
Assembling the Case
Add all the components to the case. Connect the necessary wires at the right place. Screw the plates perfectly. Install the power supply in the case if it’s not already installed. The power supply has two sides. It has a fan side that faces outside and the wire side that faces inside. Screw them up properly. The manual will have clear instructions as where to plug-in so do that properly at the right label.
Installing the Hard Drive
Place the hard drive and the CD-ROM drive. Connect the corresponding power lines. Now install the cables. One side of the cable has a red stripe on it, which makes it “pin 1.” on the motherboard,hook the red cable into the IDE connector marked “1” and the other end to the back of the drive. Drive is thus connected.
CD-ROM drive is installed the same way as the hard drive. Connect the power and other connections to motherboard. Make sure a connecter goes to the audio unit. Add monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers and other important connections.
Powering Up and Troubleshooting
Before switching on your computer makes sure all connections are made. Power supply should be 110-220v.when the power switch on four things will happen:
• The fan spins up
• Hard disk spins up.
• Lights will be seen in the parts.
• Monitor will start up with the OS booting up.
easy methods can be used to find out what’s wrong. Basically you check if,
• Power supply is plugged properly in and turned.try cleaning it up.
• Is the mother board connected properly?
• Are the connectors properly connected?
• Is the video card or other devices compatible?
Try swapping the parts to find out the fault. The steps enable you to troubleshoot by your own. Still if it’s not working then try calling your nearest service for expert advice.
If it is still not working try going back to the shop were you brought the parts. Ask them to help you solve the problem at minimum charge. If there is guarantee period then you can ask them to replace it. Experts find problems easily and solve them at low cost. The basic problems are due to bad part or bad connection.
It is too easy to build a computer. It’s easier to give it a shot. This helps you to know about the system better and you can upgrade by yourself. It saves money and is fun too. Computer may seem to be a complex machine, but its not. A few tips and observance will solve our problems as it still continues to be an integral part of the lives.